COVID-19 Updates

We wish to update community on important issues regarding COVID-19 and provide some legal resources and other supports.  If you have any questions you can always call our office at 905-527-4572, or click on “apply for services

For more Legal Information on legal issues and COVID-19 visit Steps to Justice

COVID-19 and Ontario’s Human Rights Code – Questions and Answers

Area Specific Resources regarding the COVID-19 Crisis

Tenant Update – July 30, 2020:

Update on landlord and tenant law: Eviction suspension lifted and changes to eviction process

Notice To Tenants – July 17, 2020

“Sheriff to enforce LTB Orders for Eviction as of August 1st, 2020.”

If you have received an eviction order prior to March 19, 2020 you should expect a written notice from the local Court Enforcement Officer (Sherriff) in the mail. If you do receive this document, please contact the Hamilton Community Legal Clinic immediately so that we can offer advice and assistance to determine whether the eviction can be stopped.

You can contact the Hamilton Community Legal Clinic by calling 905-527-4572, or by emailing

Background Information:

On March 19, 2020 the Superior Court of Justice issued an order whereby all residential evictions were suspended due to the state of emergency as a result of the COVID19 pandemic.

The Order stated that the eviction of residents from their homes, pursuant to eviction orders issued by the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB) or writs of possession, were suspended until further notice.

On July 6, 2020, this Order was amended to say that the suspension of evictions pursuant to eviction orders from the LTB “are suspended until the end of the calendar month in which the state of emergency… is terminated.”

That state of emergency is scheduled to end on July 24th, 2020, which means that the enforcement of preexisting eviction orders that were issued by the LTB before the state of emergency was declared, can begin in the first week of August 2020.

About Rent Relief

The law that deals with most landlord and tenant disputes is the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. If you live in subsidized housing (social housing)  the  Housing Services  Act also applies to you. The law is very different for members of housing co-ops. It is called the Cooperative Corporations Act.

Tenants most frequently have problems with their landlord if they have not paid their rent on time or have caused some damage or a disturbance. This is when the landlord tries to evict the tenant. Tenants often need to get repairs done to their apartment and are not sure how to go about it.

Our Clinic offers information, advice and representation to low income tenants. If you are having a problem with your rental unit or your landlord, we can help explain your rights and obligations under the law. We can also advise you when to get help from another service and how to take legal action to deal with your issue. In some cases we will represent you. There are many resources available in Hamilton to help you.

Rent Relief Resources

Urgent action must be taken by the province to provide rent relief to renters impacted by this pandemic.

Apply for CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit) through Service Canada

COVID-19 Tenant: Know your rights: Download PDF

Advocacy letter for tenants regarding evictions: Download PDF

Bill 184 Update :

Your Tenant Rights: Air Conditioning Units (Download PDF)

Tenant Rights Posters

Workers Rights Posters

Disclaimer: This is general information only. It is NOT legal advice. Please call us or a lawyer in your area for advice on your particular situation.

“You have the right to a safe workplace”

Arabic Poster

Chinese Poster

English Poster

French Poster

Punjabi Poster

Somali Poster

Spanish Poster

“Self-isolating during COVID-19”

Arabic poster

Chinese Poster

English Poster

French Poster

Punjabi Poster

Somali Poster

Spanish Poster

“I was laid off from my job because of COVID-19- What are my rights?”

Arabic Poster 

Chinese Poster

English Poster

French Poster

Punjabi Poster

Somali Poster

Spanish Poster

CERB frequently asked questions

COVID: CERB ( Updated April 2, 2020)

Your rights at work: fact sheet

UPDATE: Service Canada has set up a SEPARATE phone line to contact them to set up EI claims for quarantine, illness, work closure, etc due to COVID-19. They will not help you with anything else at this number.

The number is 1-833-381-2725

In addition, they are waiving the 1 week waiting period for 2 week quarantines, so if a client is affected, please inform them to apply immediately.

Rudner Law Blog:

Doorey Law of Work:

Progressive Barristers:

Samfiru Tumarkin:

Service Canada EI Notice on Coronavirus:

Barrett Centre for Crisis Support

24-Hour Crisis Line: 905-529-7878
Toll Free: 1-844-777-3571

COAST Hamilton

Toll Free: 1-844-972-8338

COVID-19 Isolation Relief Support Line

Call or text seven days a week (Tuesdays are text-only)
between 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Canadian Mental Health Association Hamilton

Kids Help Phone

1-800-668-6868 (or text HOME to 686868)
Good2Talk (for college and university students)


  • Connect with family and friends by phone and video chat, or through social media.
  • Find alternative ways to get exercise.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Avoid substance abuse.
  • Take breaks from screens.
  • Follow recommended precautions outlined by federal, provincial and municipal health agencies.
  • Seek professional help if you feel stressed or anxious.

CLEO Resource: Abuse and Family Violence

Emergency family law referral telephone line

The Law Society of Ontario, with support from the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice, has launched an interim emergency family law referral telephone line to provide assistance to people who are self-represented (SRLs) and are trying to determine whether or not their family court matter meets the criteria to be heard by the Court on an “urgent” basis and, if so, how to proceed in making their request.

SRLs may contact the Law Society about this service by phone during business hours:

Toll-free: 1-800-268-7568
General: 416-947-3310

This emergency service will connect SRLs with family lawyers, working on a pro bono basis, who will provide 30 minutes of legal advice to determine whether or not their family court matter is urgent, as well as referrals to other available legal services.

Additional services may be available from the lawyer on a private retainer basis from Legal Aid Ontario, the Law Society Referral Service or the private unbundled family law roster.

This interim measure is offered by the Law Society in association with the Ontario Bar Association and Toronto’s Family Law Advice and Settlement Counsel project, with support from the Family Lawyers Association and the Federation of Ontario Law Associations.