Our goal is to provide service that satisfies our clients

If You Are Dissatisfied With Our Services You Have a Right to Complain

We hope that your experience with our community legal clinic has been a positive one. If you are unhappy with the service you have received at the clinic, you can make a complaint:

  • Talk directly with the person who has been serving you;
  • Write to the Executive Director c/o the clinic at the above address;
  • Ask to speak to the Executive Director, Clare Freeman;
  • If the complaint is about the Executive Director, write to the attention of the Chair of the Board of Directors c/o the clinic at 203-100 Main Street East, Hamilton, Ontario, L8N 3W4 marked “Personal and Confidential”;
  • If you are not a client or former client, your complaint should be made in writing to the attention of the Executive Director c/o the clinic at the above address.

If your complaint is not resolved by the clinic staff or the Executive Director, the clinic Board will investigate the complaint and give you a chance to meet with members of the Board in person to discuss your complaint. You may be asked to appear before the Board’s Complaints Committee.

The Board will provide you with a written decision which will either accept or deny the complaint.

If you are unhappy with the decision of the Board of Directors you can ask the clinic to forward the complaint to the Complaints Office of Legal Aid Ontario.

The clinic will not provide confidential information about a clinic client or former client to the clinic Board or Legal Aid Ontario unless that person agrees to the information being provided.

This is a summary of our complaint process. If you intend to file a formal complaint, please read the full complaint process.

HCLC-CJCH Complaints Policy

HCLC-CJCH Right of Complainant