Hamilton Refugees Welcome sign

Affidavits and Notary Services

A sworn declaration is a document with a set of statements that you declare and affirm to be true (such as an “affidavit”).  You need to do this in front of a “commissioner of oaths”.  A commissioner of oaths is someone authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness certain kinds of sworn declarations.  You could be asked to affirm a declaration when you apply to the government for something or by a company when they need information from you.  It may be a form given to you or you may be expected to write it yourself.

Sometimes government forms ask you to sign them in front of a “notary public”.  A notary public is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to witness the swearing of oaths and to certify documents. Declarations that will be sent outside of Ontario need to be “notarized”. You may also need the services of a notary if you require certified copies of documents.  We will make photocopies and then “certify” them as copies of the original by having the notary public sign the copies. Lawyers are usually notaries.

Our clinic can help you if you need to have a document commissioned or if you need a notary to witness a document or make certified true copies of documents.  You must be financially eligible for this service.  Please contact us to make an appointment for commissioning for oaths or notary services.

We can assist you to write (draft) your declaration.

Examples of when you would need a commissioner of oaths or notary services:

  • A subsidized housing provider may ask you to provide an affidavit about your income.
  • Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program or another government office wants forms or applications commissioned
  • You may need a declaration because you have lost a piece of identification such as a passport.
  • You may need a certified copy of an official document.

We do not offer services for the following:

  • Corporate or business declarations
  • Land transfer tax affidavits or any real estate documents
  • Family law proceedings